Date:	Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:24:30 +0530
From:	Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@...il.com>
To:	Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@....com>
Cc:	"Luis R. Rodriguez" <lrodriguez@...eros.com>,
	rnagarajan@...ell.com, teheo@...ell.com,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	Luis Rodriguez <Luis.Rodriguez@...eros.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: Probable Bug (or configuration error) in kmemleak

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@...il.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Catalin Marinas
> <catalin.marinas@....com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 09:11 +0100, Sankar P wrote:

>>> I dont see such an error in the dmesg output. But I got another
>>> interesting error:
>>>
>>> [    0.000000] kmemleak: Early log buffer exceeded, please increase
>>> DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_EARLY_LOG_SIZE
>>> [    0.000000] kmemleak: Kernel memory leak detector disabled
>>
>> You would need to increase DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_EARLY_LOG_SIZE. The default of
>> 400 seems ok for me but it may not work with some other kernel
>> configurations (that's a static array for logging memory allocations
>> before the kmemleak is fully initialised and can start tracking them).
>>
>>> But after that also, I see some other lines like:
>>>
>>> [    0.511641] kmemleak: vmalloc(64) = f7857000
>>> [    0.511645] kmemleak: vmalloc(64) = f785a000
>>
>> This is because you compiler the test module into the kernel
>> (DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_TEST). It's not kmemleak printing this but it's testing
>> module (which leaks memory on purpose).
>>
>>> The variable  DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_EARLY_LOG_SIZE was set to 400 by default.
>>> I changed it to 4000 and then 40000 (may be should try < 32567 ?) but
>>> still I get the same error message and the file
>>> /sys/kernel/debug/kmem* is never created at all.
>>
>> This shouldn't usually happen with values greater than 2000. From your
>> kernel log, the version seems to be 2.6.32. Do you have the same
>> problems with 2.6.35-rc3?
>>
>> Your .config seems to refer to the 2.6.35-rc3 kernel - are you checking
>> the right image?
>>

> Ah sorry. I am testing by ssh into a remote machine. After installing
> my kernel (after increasing the DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_EARLY_LOG_SIZE), Before
> rebooting, I forgot to change the default-kernel this time. I will
> check once again and will let you know. Thank you a lot for the
> "dmesg" pointer.

Thanks for your "dmesg" pointer, I was able to solve the problem. I
found that whenever I ran "defconfig", the value of 400 for
DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_EARLY_LOG_SIZE seem to be inadequate always. So I made
a trivial patch incrementing the value to 1000. This worked fine for
my debugging. So, take the patch I will send next, if you prefer.

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com