Date:	23 Jun 2010 11:11:06 -0700
From:	Philippe Troin <phil@...i.org>
To:	Ben Guthro <ben@...hro.net>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: i915: Dell E6410 Ironlake LVDS detection

Ben Guthro <ben@...hro.net> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Philippe Troin <phil@...i.org> wrote:
> > I am seeing similar problems with an HP Elitebook 2540p.
> >
> > 2.6.32 works for me.
> > 2.6.33.5 does not.
>
> I have tried ubuntu mainline builds of:
>
> 2.6.32.21
> 2.6.32.22
> 2.6.34-rc3
> 2.6.35-rc1
> 2.6.34-drm-intel-next
>
> None have worked yet...

Tried a vanilla kernel?

> > I was able to turn on an external display connected via VGA with
> > xrandr and it seemed to be working fine?
>
> When I boot without the external display, I am never able to ssh in -
> and I do not get the sound that typically plays when X is booted.
>
> I've put this onto a serial line, and it seems to hang sometime in
> init...with some indicators that it is when it switches over to the
> higher resolution console...but the screen is black, so this is really
> just a gut feel.

Then it might be a different problem.  For me, X definitely boots.

Can you boot with nomodeset?

X will refuse to start, but then maybe you can set up your laptop so
that the network comes up without needing X.

Then you could try to reboot with i915+modeset and see if the machine
is still alive (and it's just a connector issue) or if the machine is
dead (then it's a deeper driver issue).

What does lspci report for you?

Mine says:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 7008
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 34
        Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=4M]
        Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
[size=256M]
        Region 4: I/O ports at 5078 [size=8]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

Phil.