Date:	Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:26:44 +0200
From:	Marc Haber <mh+linux-kernel@...schlus.de>
To:	Linux Kernel Developers <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: e1000e crashes with 2.6.34.x and ThinkPad T60

Hi,

I have a new notebook, a Thinkpad T60, which is freezing in random
intervals (like 30 minutes to two days) as long as I am using the
on-board wired ethernet interface, which is an e1000e, [8086:109a]. As
long as I keep using the WLAN, the system runs for weeks despite
frequent suspend/resume cycles etc. The crashes seem really to be tied
to using the wired ethernet. This is a hard freeze, with nothing
happening on the system, only a long push on the power button helps.

Additionally, sometimes, probably after suspend/resume, the wired
ethernet does not come up properly again, ip addr claims "NO CARRIER"
even if the LEDs on the interface and on the switch claim that there
was a link. No packets are received by the interface when it's at this
stage.

Both issues appear with 2.6.34 and 2.6.34.1. I didn't try any of these
issues with an older kernel, 2.6.34 was already out when I started
using the T60.

To rule out defective hardware, I have tried with a second T60, with
the same results.

Full dmesg and lspci-nn attached, please say if you need more.

Greetings
Marc

P.S.: Please Cc: me on replies, both linux-kernel and netdev are too
big for me to timely follow. I am subscribed to both lists, but a Cc
helps in getting a faster reply.