Date:	Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:54:02 -0400
From:	Chris Fowler <cfowler@...postsentinel.com>
To:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc:	Bob Tracy <rct@...rkin.frus.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-net@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] dm9601 driver won't init device properly

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 10:44 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> Wow. An "ethernet" card that won't do an MTU of 1500 even under
> Windows.  May I
> add this to my gallery of examples I use when people say "no vendor
> could
> *possibly* ship hardware that fscked up"? :)

A lot of these "cards" are not meant for you and I.  They are meant for
casual desktop users that would never put any amount of load on them.

About 6 years ago we needed some PCMCIA modem cards and bought 100 of
them from a vendor for $25/ea.  They started failing in the field.  When
calling they just could not sync up.  Only a reboot could fix the
problem.  What we learned was that a combination of heat and other
factors caused them to drift so much the timing was off.  We replaced
those in the field with Zoom 3075 at about $65/ea.  These modems were
not meant for our solution.  They were meant for casual laptop users
that needed to dial an ISP every so often.  I was expecting them to work
in a box that would stay up 24x7.  They couldn't handle it.  I wrote a
perl program that used a TLS-4 simulator and would dial the modem
constantly.  The failures were too much.  On the Zooms we would average
10 failures per 1000 calls.