Date:	Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:09:30 +0200
From:	"Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe" <Mario.Holbe@...Ilmenau.DE>
To:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, alsa-devel@...a-project.org
Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Regression 2.6.35-rc6: ALSA Intel HDA/Realtek:
 missing	Beep

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 07:44:38AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:
> > But the BIOS itself beeps through the sound-card at boot :/
> But BIOS tells that the HD-audio codec shouldn't use, so the driver
> follows it.

Even grub's beep (play 480 440 1) goes through the sound-card. So it
seems like the BIOS leaves everything set up working as well.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the driver does something
wrong, I'm sure it doesn't. I'm just sure that if I could convince it to
behave as if it would have detected the Beep pin everything would work
fine again because it did before...

> Please give alsa-info.sh output instead of codec proc file.  It's more
> comprehensive.

Attached.

This is from a kernel with both patches applied you sent me.

> With the patch below, you'll likely have back the system beep sound.

Nope, no sound. But I guess this wasn't the intention of the patch. Now,
no beep input is registered anymore - which was the intention, I guess.

> But it doesn't go through codec, thus no volume control.

If you mean it should go through the 5V PC Speaker (i.e. pcspkr) - I
don't have such a thing connected. I always appreciated having volume-
and mute control over the beep at night when you can't get away from
work but don't like to wake up anybody just because command completion
beeps, because you pasted something in the wrong window, or whatever.

regards
   Mario
--
Independence Day: Fortunately, the alien computer operating system works just
fine with the laptop. This proves an important point which Apple enthusiasts

Download attachment "alsa-info.out.gz" of type "application/octet-stream" (3433 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (483 bytes)