Date:	Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:10:46 +0900
From:	Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@...il.com>
To:	Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@...el.com>
Cc:	Chris Webb <chris@...chsys.com>,
	"linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>
Subject: Re: Over-eager swapping

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@...el.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Your slabinfo does contain many order 1-3 slab caches, this is a major source
> of high order allocations and hence lumpy reclaim. fork() is another.
>
> In another thread, Pekka Enberg offers a tip:
>
>        You can pass "slub_debug=o" as a kernel parameter to disable higher
>        order allocations if you want to test things.
>
> Note that the parameter works on a CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG=y kernel.
>
> Thanks,
> Fengguang

He said following as.
"After running swapoff -a, the machine is immediately much healthier. Even
while the swap is still being reduced, load goes down and response times in
virtual machines are much improved. Once the swap is completely gone, there
are still several gigabytes of RAM left free which are used for buffers, and
the virtual machines are no longer laggy because they are no longer swapped
out. Running swapon -a again, the affected machine waits for about a minute
with zero swap in use, before the amount of swap in use very rapidly
increases to around 2GB and then continues to increase more steadily to 3GB."

1. His system works well without swap.
2. His system increase swap by 2G rapidly and more steadily to 3GB.

So I thought it isn't likely to relate normal lumpy.

Of course, without swap, lumpy can scan more file pages to make
contiguous page frames. so it could work well, still. But I can't
understand 2.

Hmm, I have no idea. :(

Off-Topic:

Hi, Pekka.

Document says.
"Debugging options may require the minimum possible slab order to increase as
a result of storing the metadata (for example, caches with PAGE_SIZE object
sizes).  This has a higher liklihood of resulting in slab allocation errors
in low memory situations or if there's high fragmentation of memory.  To
switch off debugging for such caches by default, use

       slub_debug=O"

But when I tested it in my machine(2.6.34),  with slub_debug=O, it
increase objsize and pagesperslab. Even it increase the number of
slab(But I am not sure this part since it might not the same time from
booting)
What am I missing now?

But SLAB seems to be consumed small pages than SLUB. Hmm.
SLAB is more proper than SLUBin small memory system(ex, embedded)?

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim

View attachment "slub_debug.log" of type "text/x-log" (5786 bytes)

View attachment "slub_debug_disable.log" of type "text/x-log" (8050 bytes)