Date:	Thu, 5 Aug 2010 17:13:14 -0700
From:	Brian Swetland <swetland@...gle.com>
To:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Cc:	david@...g.hm, kevin granade <kevin.granade@...il.com>,
	Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com>,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	pavel@....cz, florian@...kler.org, stern@...land.harvard.edu,
	peterz@...radead.org, tglx@...utronix.de, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk
Subject: Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>> > so what would wake a phone up from suspend where the phone should go back to
>> > sleep in under a second?
>>
>> Here are some real-world examples from shipped android devices:
>> - battery gauging happens every 10 minutes, need to wake long enough
>> to chatter with the 1w interface and make sure the battery is not
>> exploding
>> - always on mail/im/calendar/etc sync often has network events that
>> happen every 5-10 minutes which cause devices to briefly wake up and
>> return to sleep
>> - gps tracker app might wake every couple minutes or every n gps
>> events to log location
>> - low power audio subsystems can wake you up every 1-4 seconds (pcm)
>> or 1-4 minutes (mp3) to fetch more data
>
> Interesting!
>
> So for an mp3 playback, does an Android suspend between data fetches?

It can if the latency is long enough (which is why I point out low
power audio which is usually high latency).  For low latency (system
sounds, etc) 10-25ms between buffers it's not practical to fully
suspend but we will go to the lowest power state in idle if possible.

Brian