Date:	Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:55:29 +0200
From:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
To:	Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com>
Cc:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>, david@...g.hm,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	pavel@....cz, florian@...kler.org, swetland@...gle.com,
	peterz@...radead.org, tglx@...utronix.de, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk
Subject: Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

On Saturday, August 07, 2010, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:
> 2010/8/7 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...k.pl>:

> >> Almost. We have it when a device is passed in.
> >
> > Sure.  And what are the other cases (details, please)?
> >

> The suspend blockers I added I my suspend blocker patchset were not
> directly associated with a device. The evdev changes could be modified
> to share a device, but it would give less detail since a separate
> queue is created for each client that opens the device.

OK, that's a good argument.

> The suspend blocking work api would have to change so the caller to passes
> a device in, which I think would make that api less flexible. Mostly the
> problem is that we need separate stats for wakelocks created by a
> single driver. For instance we will still need a user-space interface
> to block suspend on android devices (lower level services than the
> power manager need to block suspend), with the stats in the device
> struct we have to create a new device for every wakelock user space
> creates in the kernel.

Well, what about managing these stats in user space?

> There is also the issue of reading the stats. It is a lot easier to
> read a single stats file, than looping though every device on the
> system (when most of the devices never block suspend).

It seems you can have a list of the "interesting" ones.

> >> I don't know if they are all kernel-internal but these drivers appear
> >> to use timeouts and active cancellation on the same wakelock:
> >> wifi driver, mmc core, alarm driver, evdev (suspend blocker version
> >> removes the timeout).
> >
> > You previously said you didn't need timeouted wakelocks in the kernel, so
> > I guess that was incorrect.
> >

> I don't know what you are reffering to. We have always stated that we
> need timeouts in the kernel to pass events through other kernel layers
> that do not use wakelocks (that list is much longer than the list
> above which mixes timeouts and unlock on the same wakelock). The only
> feature we do not use is the timeout feature in the user space
> interface to kernel wakelocks.

Now that's more clear, thanks.

> >> It is useful there is no other way to tell what triggered a wakeup,
> >> but it would probably be better to just track wakeup interrupts/events
> >> elsewhere.

> >> These are the reported stats, not the fields in the stats structure.
> >> The wakelock code has an active flag. If we want to keep the
> >> pm_stay_wake nesting (which I would argue against), we would need an
> >> active count. It would also require a handle, which is a change Rafael
> >> said would not fly.

> >> Only with a handle passed to all the calls.
> >
> > Well, I'm kind of tired of this "my solution is the only acceptable one"
> > mindset.  IMHO, it's totally counter productive.
> >

> How do you propose to track how long a driver has blocked suspend when
> you have an unblock call that takes no arguments.

You can extend pm_relax() to take a dev argument and measure the time between
pm_stay_awake() and pm_relax() called for the same device.

> >> The screen off is how it is used on android, the stats is keyed of
> >> what user space wrote to /sys/power/state. If "on" was written the
> >> sleep time is not updated.

> >> Since many wakelocks are not associated with s struct device we need a
> >> separate object for this anyway.

> >> The merged user space interface makes this unclear to me. When I first
> >> used suspend on android I had a power manager process that opened all
> >> the input devices and reset a screen off timeout every time there was
> >> an input event. If the input layer uses pm_stay_awake to block suspend
> >> when the queue is not empty, this will deadlock with the current
> >> interface since reading the wake count will block forever if an input
> >> event occurred right after the power manager decides to suspend.
> >
> > No, in that case suspend will be aborted, IIUC.
> >

> How? Your pm_get_wakeup_count function loops until events_in_progress becomes 0.

So, to deadlock with it you'd have to call pm_stay_awake() and wait for it to
complete.  However, right now there are no means by which user space can call
pm_stay_awake(), so this can't happen.

Of course, if you add pm_stay_awake() to an ioctl() code path, you should make
sure that whoever uses that ioctl() won't be waiting for the power manager to
read from /sys/power/wakeup_count.  I guess your point is that this isn't
possible to achieve?

Thanks,
Rafael