Date:	Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:09:38 -0700
From:	Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
Cc:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>, david@...g.hm,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	pavel@....cz, florian@...kler.org, swetland@...gle.com,
	peterz@...radead.org, tglx@...utronix.de, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk
Subject: Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

2010/8/8 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...k.pl>:
> On Saturday, August 07, 2010, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:
>> The suspend blocking work api would have to change so the caller to passes
>> a device in, which I think would make that api less flexible. Mostly the
>> problem is that we need separate stats for wakelocks created by a
>> single driver. For instance we will still need a user-space interface
>> to block suspend on android devices (lower level services than the
>> power manager need to block suspend), with the stats in the device
>> struct we have to create a new device for every wakelock user space
>> creates in the kernel.
>
> Well, what about managing these stats in user space?

The java wakelocks have stats in user space, but the lower level
services that use the kernel api do not show up there.

>> There is also the issue of reading the stats. It is a lot easier to
>> read a single stats file, than looping though every device on the
>> system (when most of the devices never block suspend).
>
> It seems you can have a list of the "interesting" ones.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean add a procfs or debugfs api
that lists the stats for devices that have used the api, then yes that
should work. If I have a devices where the battery drained too
quickly, I run cat /proc/wakelocks which has all the reasons why it
was not suspended.

>> > Well, I'm kind of tired of this "my solution is the only acceptable one"
>> > mindset.  IMHO, it's totally counter productive.
>> >

>> How do you propose to track how long a driver has blocked suspend when
>> you have an unblock call that takes no arguments.
>
> You can extend pm_relax() to take a dev argument and measure the time between
> pm_stay_awake() and pm_relax() called for the same device.

As long as it is not optional.

>> > No, in that case suspend will be aborted, IIUC.
>> >

>> How? Your pm_get_wakeup_count function loops until events_in_progress becomes 0.
>
> So, to deadlock with it you'd have to call pm_stay_awake() and wait for it to
> complete.  However, right now there are no means by which user space can call
> pm_stay_awake(), so this can't happen.

No that is not how it deadlocks. The input driver calls pm_stay_awake
which blocks the thread that reads from /sys/power/wakeup_count. If
that threads needs to run before the user-space reads from the input
device (either because it is the same thread, or because it provides a
user-space wakelock api) you have a deadlock.

> Of course, if you add pm_stay_awake() to an ioctl() code path, you should make
> sure that whoever uses that ioctl() won't be waiting for the power manager to
> read from /sys/power/wakeup_count.  I guess your point is that this isn't
> possible to achieve?

My main point is that blocking suspend while the input event queue is
not empty changes what else is safe for the user-space process reading
/sys/power/wakeup_count.

--
Arve Hjønnevåg