Date:	Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:08:00 +0200
From:	Dhaval Giani <dhaval.giani@...il.com>
To:	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...e.de>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: USB device getting different product ids

Heya,

Admittedly I am using an older kernel, but I was wondering if a USB
device can get different product ids on being plugged in at different
times. I have one of these nice USB modems to connect to the internet
. It is one of these huawei devices. Now, most of the times, it gets
detected with vendor id 0x12d1 and product id 0x1446. In this mode, on
whatever reason, I am unable to use to connect to the internet.
However when it is detected as the product id 0x140b, I get
ttyUSB[0-2] which then connects very nicely via both wvdial and
networkmanager to the internet. Now obviously, I would like for the
device to get detected as 0x140b each time, as opposed to me pulling
it out and inserting it back in till does get detected as 0x140b :-).

So my question is,

1. Is it possible for the same device to get different product ids at
different times
2. If so, how do I possibly get it to detect the id I want, as opposed
to playing a game of chance.

I am currently using the Fedora 13 default kernel.

Thanks,
Dhaval

(I would copy linux-usb if I knew the mailing list id, but as I am on
a slow GPRS connection, which is quite flaky right now, I would like
to send this out right now. Please copy that list if it would help!)