Date:	Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:	david@...g.hm
To:	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>
cc:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>, paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com,
	"Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@...il.com>,
	Brian Swetland <swetland@...gle.com>,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	arve@...roid.com, pavel@....cz, florian@...kler.org, rjw@...k.pl,
	stern@...land.harvard.edu, peterz@...radead.org,
	tglx@...utronix.de, menage@...gle.com, david-b@...bell.net,
	James.Bottomley@...e.de, arjan@...radead.org, swmike@....pp.se,
	galibert@...ox.com, dipankar@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:07:20AM -0700, david@...g.hm wrote:
>
>> If the primary difference between sleep and suspend is not scheduling
>> processes, instead of messing with oppurtinistic suspend/suspend
>> blockers/wakelocks/etc, why not just 'temporarily' change the timer fuzz
>> value to a very large value (say an hour). That would still let things
>> like openoffice saves ahve a fair chance to trigger before the battery
>> died completely, but would wake the system so infrequently that it will
>> be effectivly the same as a full suspend.
>
> Because it only affects processes that sleep. It's a question of how
> much pathology you want to be able to tolerate.

Standard system stats will show you hogs like this. The Android people
claim that wakelock stats will let the user identify processes that
prevent the system from suspending properly and then remove them. If this
is the case, a process that never sleeps will be even easier to identify
and even more obvious an offender.

If that isn't enough, then you can go back to the other idea I advanced,
having some way to tell the system not to consider some processes when
trying to decide if the system should sleep or not.

David Lang