Date:	Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:12:44 -0700
From:	Brian Swetland <swetland@...gle.com>
To:	Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@...il.com>
Cc:	"Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>, david@...g.hm,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	arve@...roid.com, mjg59@...f.ucam.org, pavel@....cz,
	florian@...kler.org, rjw@...k.pl, stern@...land.harvard.edu,
	peterz@...radead.org, tglx@...utronix.de, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk,
	menage@...gle.com, david-b@...bell.net, James.Bottomley@...e.de,
	arjan@...radead.org, swmike@....pp.se, galibert@...ox.com,
	dipankar@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras@...il.com> wrote:
>> Once "the right solution" exists and solves our problems, we'll
>> certainly look into switching over to it.  I've yet to see a proposal
>> in all this arguing that appears to me to be an improvement over what
>> we have today with suspend blockers.  I find the "don't do what you're
>> doing because someday, somebody will do it better" to be an
>> uncompelling argument.
>
> That was not an argument, it was an opinion. If you want an argument
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1021834
>
>> Given your opinion that Android lacks multitasking (what? really?)
>
> This is what I'm talking about when I say multi-tasking, Android
> certainly doesn't have anything remotely like that:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emvUBpEkbU

Home + pick app -> switch to the app in whatever state it was in.

Home (longpress) -> recent app list + pick app from popup -> switch to
recent app in whatever state it was in.

pull down alert windowshade + pick app from alerts list -> switch to that app

I routinely flip back and forth between email / browser / IM / musicplayer / etc

I have no problem with you perhaps liking the visuals of the N900
better, but to say Android lacks multitasking (as you explain it
below) is incorrect:

> By multi-tasking I mean me (the user) being able to perform multiple
> tasks at the same time.

> For example: writing an email, while browsing the web, while having IM
> conversations. Obviously not exactly at the same time; start writing
> an email, go browse for some url, copy, answer a pending IM message,

As far as implementing app switching with a deck of cards metaphor,
I've seen that done by some OEMs with Android, though it's not the
default system UI.

Brian