Date:	Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:13:25 -0400
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
Cc:	Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@...il.com>,
	Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@...el.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, alsa-devel@...a-project.org
Subject: Re: mmotm 2010-08-11 - audio volume issues

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:11:42 +0200, Takashi Iwai said:
> At Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:06:22 +0200,
> Jiri Slaby wrote:

> > > Something appears to be borked in the ALSA arena.  There's no actual volume coming
> > > out of the system, and 'alsamixer' is insisting that the volume slider only goes from 0
> > > to 10% or so, no further.  However, experimentation shows that the volume slider
> > > in 'xine' *does* affect the 'Amp-Out vals' lines, and alsamixer has *no* effect on
> > > what 'Amp-Out vals' lists.
> > >
> > > A diff of alsa-info.sh for the two kernels shows them being identical, so I'm only
> > > attaching one copy.
> > >
> > > It may be the weekend before I find time to do a bisection of this.
> >
> > Didn't you (like some other people) get into the state where pulseaudio
> > doesn't work? It chooses as an output a dummy driver automatically, then
> > you can change volume, play sound, but actually it all goes to /dev/null.
> >
> > It took me a while before I figured out that it's a "dummy" driver I
> > have in pulseaudio.
>
> Looks like there is a breakage regarding open/close due to fs/notify/*
> changes.  I guess you can hear still sounds like:
>
> 	% aplay -Dplughw foo.wav

Confirming that Linus's patch fixes it for me:

commit 2069601b3f0ea38170d4b509b89f3ca0a373bdc1
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Date:   Thu Aug 12 14:23:04 2010 -0700

    Revert "fsnotify: store struct file not struct path"

    This reverts commit 3bcf3860a4ff9bbc522820b4b765e65e4deceb3e (and the
    accompanying commit c1e5c954020e "vfs/fsnotify: fsnotify_close can delay
    the final work in fput" that was a horribly ugly hack to make it work at
    all).