Date:	Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:18:21 +0800
From:	"jack wang" <jack_wang@...sh.com>
To:	"'Vladislav Bolkhovitin'" <vst@...b.net>,
	"'James Bottomley'" <James.Bottomley@...e.de>
Cc:	"'Chetan Loke'" <chetanloke@...il.com>,
	"'Chetan Loke'" <generationgnu@...oo.com>,
	"'scst-devel'" <scst-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re: linuxcon 2010...

James Bottomley, on 08/18/2010 08:18 PM wrote:
>> James you are an expert but not everyone is. This is not a venting
>> session but even folks who are new to target architecture find it easy
>> to hack SCST.
>
> But that's not really relevant, is it?  I would expect that whatever I
> do, even keeping both out of tree, the communities around the solutions
> would still exist and be vibrant, since they're out of tree now, nothing
> will have changed.

The problem that people do believe that the merged code is the best
code, so the being merged is an immediate HUGE advertisement. So, you
can't say if a code is inside the mainline tree or not isn't relevant.

This is the source of the questions from the SCST community. SCST is at
the moment the best code. It's several years ahead any competitor. SCST
has more functionality, SCST has more users, SCST has bigger community,
SCST has more testing and, hence, stability, SCST has more support from
storage vendors, etc. But for some reasons all those suddenly ignored
and a raw, pursuing SCST code preferred instead.

So, we want to know those reasons. SCST wasn't even really considered.
Isn't Linux anymore a place where the best code wins? Frankly, it looks
like the decision was done under closed doors based on rather political
reasons, like personal connections...

Vlad

[Jack]Vote for SCST as a user and target driver developer based on SCST.
SCST really do good job.