Date:	Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:42:45 -0400
From:	Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>
To:	Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@...e.de>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Matt Helsley <matthltc@...ibm.com>,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	viro@...iv.linux.org.uk, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	Michael Kerrisk <michael.kerrisk@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] notification tree - try 37!

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 22:24 +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2010 17:08:26 Eric Paris wrote:

> > > This needs to be fixed then.  Not such a big deal, but it shows that the
> > > tree wasn't ready for being merged yet and needs further review.
> >
> > Code with bugs, shocking!  Two other bugs have been found and patches
> > for those will be coming shortly.  I've begged for review how many
> > times?  I don't care when review it comes, I'll address any issues as
> > they come up.
>
> Here is one more bug: when watching a directory with inotify, doing an ls
> gives me:
>
> 	Watching d
> 	d was opened
> 	d not opened for writing was closed
>
> Watching the same directory with fanotify results in:
>
> 	.../d: pid=... open_perm
> 	.../d: pid=... open
> 	.../d: pid=... access_perm
> 	.../d: pid=... access_perm
> 	.../d: pid=... close
>
> Five events seem a bit excessive; I can't explain why so many are generated.
> The real issue is when watching the same directory both with inotify and
> fanotify, though: the fanotify result stays the same, but

The extra events are plainly the new events that inotify doesn't
support: namely permissions events.  You ask for and received extra
events....

> 	Watching d
> 	d has not changed
> 	d was opened
> 	d has not changed
> 	d has not changed
> 	d not opened for writing was closed
>
> In other words, watching a directory with fanotify causes extra inotify events
> with mask == 0.

I can't reproduce it.

inotifywait -m /mnt/tmp
fanotify -p /mnt/tmp
ls /mnt/tmp

All I see is:

# /tmp/inotifywait.strace -- inotifywait -m /mnt/tmp/
Setting up watches.
Watches established.
/mnt/tmp/ OPEN,ISDIR
/mnt/tmp/ CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE,ISDIR

# /storage/tmp/fanotify/fanotify -p /mnt/tmp
/mnt/tmp: pid=508 open_perm
/mnt/tmp: pid=508 open
/mnt/tmp: pid=508 access_perm
/mnt/tmp: pid=508 close

# ls
file  lost+found

You must have some other testing methodology.....