Date:	Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:02:48 +0100
From:	Ian Campbell <ijc@...lion.org.uk>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stable@...nel.org,
	stable-review@...nel.org, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk, Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>
Subject: Re: [2/3] mm: fix up some user-visible effects of the stack guard
 page

On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 08:54 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc@...lion.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Since we have split the original VMA into 3, shouldn't only the bottom
> > one still have VM_GROWSDOWN set? (how can the top two grow down with the
> > bottom one in the way?) Certainly it seems wrong to enforce a guard page
> > on anything but the bottom VMA (which is what appears to be happening).
>
> Yes, it does seem like we should teach vma splitting to remove
> VM_GROWSDOWN on all but the lowest mapping.

Agreed, I was just coding that up to check.

Is there any VMA coalescing which we need to worry about? We don't
appear to do anything like that on munlock at least but I didn't look
elsewhere.

FWIW the attached mlock.c exhibits the issue for me. Under 2.6.35 it
takes 1 additional minor fault if you do not give the "lock" option and
0 minor faults if you do give "lock".

Under 2.6.35.2 and 3.6.35.3-rc it works the same without "lock" but with
"lock" under 2.6.35.2 the mlock fails and with 2.6.35.3 it thinks it
succeeds but didn't really and then bus errors.

> > Out of interest how does the guard page interact with processes which do
> > alloca(N*PAGE_SIZE)?
>
> It's a guard page, not magic. Some architecture ABI's specify that if
> you expand the stack by more than a certain number, you need to touch
> a page in between (for example, I think alpha had that rule), because
> they don't grow the stack automatically by an arbitrary amount. But
> x86 has never had that rule, and you can certainly defeat a guard page
> by simply accessing by much more than a page.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the guard page thing is not - and shouldn't
> be thought of - a "hard" feature. If it's needed, it's really a bug in
> user space. But given that there are bugs in user space, the guard
> page makes it a bit harder to abuse those bugs. But it's about "a bit
> harder" rather than anything else.
>
> IOW, it does _not_ make up for user space that willfully does crazy
> things, and never will.

Thanks, was just curious...

Ian.

View attachment "mlock.c" of type "text/x-csrc" (1779 bytes)