Date:	Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:07:23 -0400
From:	Chetan Loke <chetanloke@...il.com>
To:	Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@....org>
Cc:	landman@...lableinformatics.com,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>,
	Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@...b.net>,
	linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	scst-devel <scst-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re: linuxcon 2010...

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@....org> wrote:

> There is an important design difference between SCST and LIO: SCST by
> defaults creates multiple threads to process the I/O operations for a
> storage target, while LIO only creates a single thread per storage target.
> This makes SCST perform measurably faster.

Forget that. You could have discussed this if there were code reviews
or other mainline inclusion emails from James B. From what I have
heard, the decision was taken around 8-9 months back.
Would anyone like to either comment/validate/refute this please?  If
not then I would kindly request these guys to stop taking us for a
test drive. And also I'm not sure when was the last time James B.
bench-marked our scsi-stack. Even if I ACK in the xmit-path then I
can't push more than 100K IOPs. But other folks have re-engineered our
linux-scsi stack and from what I've heard they can push > 300K+ IOPs.
So I would just ignore performance discussion because I don't think
folks have done even simple lame experiments in the last 1 year. Or
may be I'm completely wrong and so please enlighten me so that I can
re-run the tests.

> Bart.

Chetan Loke