Date:	Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:43:51 +0900
From:	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>
To:	Mark Hills <mark@...o.org.uk>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Balbir Singh <balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Daisuke Nishimura <nishimura@....nes.nec.co.jp>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: cgroup: rmdir() does not complete

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:04:31 +0100 (BST)
Mark Hills <mark@...o.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 12:36 +0100, Mark Hills wrote:
> >
> > > I am still finding the problem incredibly hard to reproduce, so I'd like
> > > to observe as much data as possible from the current case before
> > > rebooting. If I could capture some kind of stack trace in the kernel for
> > > the running process that would be great, any suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > echo l > /proc/sysrq-trigger
>
> Despite running this many times, I never 'catch' the process on a CPU,
> despite it using 70% in top. But...
>
> > another thing you can do is run something like: perf record -gp $pid
> > which will give you a profile of that task.
>
> This is very useful, thanks.
>
> The report on the spinning process (23586) is dominated by calls from
> mem_cgroup_force_empty.
>
> It seems to show lru_add_drain_all and drain_all_stock_sync are causing
> the load (I assume drain_all_stock_sync has been optimised out). But I
> don't think this is as important as what causes the spin.
>
> There are no tasks in the cgroup, but memory usage is non-zero and
> constant. It seems mem_cgroup_force_empty is unable to empty the cgroup in
> this case.
>
>   # cat /cgroup/soaked-23586/tasks
>   # cat /cgroup/soaked-23586/memory.usage_in_bytes
>   24576
>   # cat /cgroup/soaked-23586/memsw.usage_in_bytes
>   <hangs>

I think this "cat" hang is because of vfs's lock.

Hmm, then, there are pages on LRU which cannot be moved or there is
leak of account.

BTW, mem_cgroup's rmdir is desgined to be able to receive SIGINT etc...
Can't you stop rmdir by Ctrl-C or some ?

  rmdir -> hang -> Ctrl-C (or some) -> cat .../memory.stat

can work ? And do you still use Fedora's kernel ?

Thanks,
-Kame