Date:	Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:40:43 -0400
From:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>
To:	Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>
Cc:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, dhowells@...hat.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: memory barrier question

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 19:17 +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > How do compiler optimizations make a difference?
> >
> > There are two types of reorderings that cause problems if you expect the
> > bus visible ordering to matter.  One is CPU issue reordering, where the
> > cpu decides to output loads and stores in a different order than the
> > input instruction stream actually said.  The other is compiler
> > re-ordering where the compiler actually reorders the instructions to
> > execute in a different order from what you'd expect by simply reading
> > the C code.
> >
> > We have compiler barrier instructions for the latter and barriers which
> > issue CPU primitives for the former.
>
> Right but in the concrete namei example I can't see how a compiler
> optimization can make a difference.  The order of the loads is quite
> clear:
>
>    LOAD inode = next.dentry->inode
>    if (inode != NULL)
>    	LOAD inode->f_op
>
> What is there the compiler can optimize?

In this example, it can't the if is conditional on the previous
executions, so even a speculating CPU is required to do ordering  If the
compiler could prove inode wasn't null (which it can't I think in this
case) it might then re-order.  in your original question, there were
ways the compiler could behave strangely (for instance, it would likely
start by initialising p to &x rather than NULL).

James