Date:	Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:15:37 +0100 (BST)
From:	Mark Hills <mark@...o.org.uk>
To:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: make headers_install

Hi David, I tried to update my kernel headers using the instructions in
Documentation/make/headers_install.txt. I followed the example:

  make headers_install INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr/include

but it installed them in /usr/include/include. So I modified the path:

  make headers_install INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr

The command installed the headers, but then automatically deleted
/usr/include/*.h (nasty!). This is with kernel 2.6.35.4.

Do the docs need an update (and I should always be installing to a staging
area?) Or is this a bug in the process -- where is should be removing
unknown files in /usr/include/linux or similar?

I seem to remember that I used to be able to install headers direct to the
system, is this still the case?

Thanks

--
Mark