Date:	Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:57:32 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>
Cc:	James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com, benh@...nel.crashing.org,
	dhowells@...hat.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: memory barrier question

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:25:04AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > ACCESS_ONCE() also tells the compiler not to try to guess.
> >
> > If the code is written like this:
> >
> > 	if (ACCESS_ONCE(dentry->d_inode)) {
> > 		blah = dentry->d_inode->i_some_field
> > 	}
> >
> > does the compiler guarantee anything or does it need a full compiler
> > barrier to prevent reordering?
>
> From what I understand, this could do strange things.  The compiler
> is forced to access dentry->d_inode for the "if" check, but would be
> free to use some previously fetched value for the assignment to "blah".
> Unless of course this code was under a lock that prevented any
> change to dentry->d_inode.
>
> If the code is to execute in a lockless manner, I would instead suggest
> something like the following:
>
> 	p = ACCESS_ONCE(dentry->d_inode);
> 	if (p) {
> 		blah = p->i_some_field
> 	}
>
> This would force the compiler to actually fetch dentry->d_inode
> and only then dereference it.

Are the initial check and the assignment to "blah" in different
functions or something?  If so, the following might be easier to
deal with:

	if (ACCESS_ONCE(dentry->d_inode)) {
		blah = ACCESS_ONCE(dentry->d_inode)->i_some_field
	}

The compiler is forbidden to reorder volatile accesses (at least assuming
that they have a well-defined order, which they do in this case).  The
CPU is required to make successive accesses to the same memory location
be in order.

So as long as the only change to dentry->d_inode is a NULL-to-non-NULL
transition, the above should work, other than on DEC Alpha.

						Thanx, Paul