Date:	Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:19:15 +0300
From:	Plamen Petrov <pvp-lsts@...uni-ruse.bg>
To:	Don Zickus <dzickus@...hat.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [2.6.36-rc5 backtrace] NMI watchdog detects rcu_sched_state stall

На 22.9.2010 г. 18:40, Don Zickus написа:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 08:53:40PM +0300, Plamen Petrov wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Kernel 2.6.35-rc5 just wrote the following into system logs:

<snipped contents>

> Hello Plamen,
>
> Thanks for the report.  Unfortunately, you compiled with the old nmi
> watchdog which is known to give false positives (because it has not been
> updated to handle the new clock source).
>
> If you have the time could you recompile with
> CONFIG_LOCKUP_DETECTOR=y
> CONFIG_HARDLOCKUP_DETECTOR=y
>
> This should utilize a new modern nmi watchdog detector and probably won't
> output false positives like cpu 1 stuck in the idle loop.
>
> Also perhaps next time could you attach the output of 'dmesg' instead of
> /var/log/messages?  Your attachment is hard to read (it line wrapped on
> me), making it difficult to see what is going on.
>
> Cheers,
> Don

Hello Don,

Sorry about the wrapped text problem! I'm attaching the log as a file
now, and using my usual MUA.

About the dmesg output - understood. I have the contents of
/var/log/messages because when I caught this, the first thing I did was
to switch to a "known-good" kernel - the machine was that unresponsive
(at least as far as I can say from a ssh session).So, dmesg output was
gone.

About the new lockup detector - I'm currently running a kernel with the
config options you requested enabled. I hope some of the latest changes
fixes my problems, because the kernel is from Linus' latest tree.

Thanks,
Plamen

View attachment "NMI-log.txt" of type "text/plain" (18960 bytes)