Date:	Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:52:37 -0400
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [00/80] 2.6.35.6 stable review

On Saturday, September 25, 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Saturday, September 25, 2010, Greg KH wrote:

>rc1.gz
>
>>> Hi Greg;  I just pulled this about an hour ago, built it from a make
>>> oldconfig based on a flawlessly running 2.6.35.4.
>>
>>Please cc: me on messages, I don't read lkml as well as I should these
>>days due to travel.
>>
>>> 3 things I call regressions.
>>>
>>> 1. On rebooting to it, and launching kmail, cpu went to 100% of
>>> whatever core it skipped to on a 4 core amd phenom box with 4G of ram.
>>>
>>>  Normally, kmail on a restart will check and rebuild its indices,
>
>The email corpus is around 7Gb.
>
>>> taking maybe 4 or 5 minutes to do this up till now, during that time
>>> keyboard/mouse interactivity lags a split second.  This time it was 44
>>> minutes before I got my machine back.  At times the keyboard went dead
>>> for minutes at a time.  I even went to the kitchen and got fresh
>>> batteries for it, only to have everything I had typed blind 2 minutes
>>> before, show up on screen while there was no batteries in it.
>>
>>Odd, can you try reverting the patch below to see if it makes things
>>better?  I need to drop it as Jens said it might cause problems.  Let me
>>know if that solves the problem or not please.
>
>This evening I should be able to report.
>
>>> 2. That I think is separate from the login screen, there I had no
>>> keyboard or mouse for a minute, but something finally registered and I
>>> was able to log in then.
>>>
>>> 3. My usb tree is not fully populated, this has been a frequent
>>> problem for the last year or so, udev often does not wait for
>>> branch so I have to crawl under and unplug the missing stuff later,
>>> which is then properly recognized when I plug it back into the same
>>> socket on the same hub.  One of my often missing printers is 4 hubs
>>> away in the basement.
>>
>>These both sound like the same issue, you might want to work to resolve
>>them.
>
>I will give this patch a shot this evening, today's schedule is already
>shot, there's a sport show at Stonewall Jackson Lake & resort.
>
>>Oh, and 4 hubs distance, that's pushing the limits of USB, one flaky
>>cable and you are not going to have a working printer...
>
>I may in fact have a flaky hub, the first one is a 7 port Alps brand and
>I've found it now has a bad port or 2.  Lightning is a bitch, scheduled
>for a replacement now that I know about it.
>
>>thanks,
>>
>>greg k-h
>
>Thanks Greg, I'll be in touch.

Done and rebooted.

kmail is still rebuilding the indices after the reboot, but this is still
about the same laggyness as before.

This system ran well once the initial housekeeping was finished, but this
does appear to be, so far, pretty much a repeat with much the same long
lags, so I don't believe this was the culprit.  I'll time it till its
working normally and include that time in this message.

54 minutes now and kmail is still at the top of the top display.
1:08 when kmail dropped off the top line of (h)top.

So this wasn't the problem patch, you can leave it in AFAIAC.

Thanks for your patience.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)