Date:	Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:18:44 -0700
From:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Trinabh Gupta <trinabh@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
CC:	Venkatesh Pallipadi <venki@...gle.com>, peterz@...radead.org,
	lenb@...nel.org, suresh.b.siddha@...el.com,
	benh@...nel.crashing.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	ak@...ux.intel.com
Subject: Re: [RFC V1] cpuidle: add idle routine registration and cleanup pm_idle
 pointer

  On 10/20/2010 8:12 AM, Trinabh Gupta wrote:

> On 10/20/2010 12:31 AM, Trinabh Gupta wrote:
>>

>> On 10/20/2010 12:19 AM, Venkatesh Pallipadi wrote:

>>> I agree with Arjan.
>>> If we have a default_cpuidle driver which parses idle= params, handles
>>> various mwait quirks in x86 process*.c and registers with cpuidle, we
>>> can then always call cpuidle idle routine on x86.
>>
>> This wouldn't duplicate code. It would move parts/functionality of
>> cpuidle into the kernel, keeping governors alone as modules.
>>
>> If we directly call cpuidle_idle_call() then this may be too much
>> overhead for architectures that have single idle routine i.e cases where
>> cpuidle is not used and will be seen as a bloat. (c.f goals 4a,b).
>
> Hi Venki, Arjan
>
> Building cpuidle into the kernel would add ~7KB for everyone, even
> x86 architectures having only single idle state/routine.

but now you're duplicating this functionality adding code for everyone.

99.999% of the people today run cpuidle... (especially embedded x86
where they really care about power)
all x86 going forward also has > 1 idle option anyway.

and you're adding and extra layer in the middle that just duplicates the
layer that's in use in practice above it.

seriously, this sounds like the wrong tradeoff to make.