Date:	Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:08:36 -0400
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.36, make oldconfig broken

On Friday, October 22, 2010, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:29:36 -0400 Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>[adding linux-kbuild]
>
>> Greets all;
>>
>> I have managed to get 2.6.36 to a semi-usable state, but I have major
>> breakage yet.
>>
>> Question: what happens if I simply move my working 2.6.35.7 .config
>> into the 2.6.36 tree and build it from that?
>
>I think that it runs 'make oldconfig' automatically for you.
>
>> It can't be any worse than what the broken 'make oldconfig' did to it.
>> What it output changed the disk drivers, graphic card drivers and just
>> plain threw away at least a hundred lines in the multimedia drivers
>> section.
>>
>> How do you suggest I recover from this if just building from the
>> 2.6.35.7 .conf doesn't work?
>
>Please send your 2.6.35.7 .config file so that we can generate & see the
>changes.

Attached Randy, & many thanks.

Just for S&G I overwrote the generated .config in the 2.6.36 tree with these
files, and ran a make xconfig, which bitched about line 3109, and which I
don't recall ever playing with, "RAR_REGISTER" IIRC, so I saved it without
any other changes and built/installed & booted from that now.

My only problem now seems to be with cheese for my elderly webcam and my
experience with using the nvidia drivers on my milling machine would seem
to indicate that the nvidia blob is locking out the IRQ's for too long,
which interferes with the steady stream my webcam puts out, so I get a
partial screen and a shell window full of:
ibv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 5 more bits
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 2 more bits

Which of course is not your fault as I'm 'tainted'.  And it works well with
the vesa driver, which also points an accusing finger at the nvidia driver
blob.  What else is new. ;-)

But I'll be interested in what you get.  Its stuff like this that have made
me wary of downloading the kernel images in .bz2 formats, too many times I
have had to go back and get the .gz version because the unpacking of the
.bz2 upchucked and silently threw away a subdir tree, and only a fresh
download fixes it, blowing it away and unpacking the bz2 again will only fix
it occasionally.  I started with the tar.gz of course this time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

View attachment "config-2.6.35.7" of type "text/x-mpsub" (86872 bytes)