Date:	Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:15:59 -0700
From:	David Daney <ddaney@...iumnetworks.com>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>, Charles Manning <manningc2@...rix.gen.nz>
CC:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?

On 10/28/2010 10:49 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:41:13AM +1300, Charles Manning wrote:

>>> It's difficult to review&  comment on a git tree.
>>> We prefer patches via email for review.

>>> Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
>>> tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
>>
>> Hi Randy
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> At this stage I'm hoping for some high level feedback about code layout etc.
>> and don't expect an immediate approval. I expect to do some further code
>> cleansing before getting a green light.
>>
>> We're talking around 15k lines of code. Is a huge patch set the right way?
>>   I thought it would be more polite to invite people to look at git, rather
>> than filling everyone's inboxes.
>
> Have you read Documentation/SubmittingPatches and
> Documentation/development_process/ which explains how to break up your
> code and send it out for review properly?
>
> No one is going to look at a random git tree with 15k lines of code for
> a review, sorry.  Would you?

The vast majority of the changes are just adding new files.  All Those
can be found in:

http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/tree/yaffs-integration/fs/yaffs2/

That said, one could imagine a scenario where a single patch was created
that added the contents of that directory.  That patch could then be
send to the relevant mailing lists as several people have pointed out.

Certainly replying to a patch submission e-mail is much closer to the
standard kernel development process than trying to comment on files in
some random git tree.

David Daney