Date:	Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:32:10 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
Cc:	gilberto.nunes@...betti.com.br,
	Dhaval Giani <dhaval.giani@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Galbraith patch

On Thursday, November 18, 2010, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 13:43 -0200, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
>> Hi...
>>
>> Someone can help with this????
>
>Hey, patience please, I'm on vacation :)
>
>You can try the below if you like.  It's what I'm currently tinkering
>with, and has a patch it depends on appended for ease of application.
>Should apply cleanly to virgin 2.6.36.
>
>	-Mike
[...]
Unforch is did not apply to a freshly unpacked 2.6.36, Mike.
I didn't see an error in the patch go by: (from my buildit26 script)
====
Applying patch Galbraith-4-latency.patch

patching file include/linux/sched.h
patching file kernel/sched.c
patching file kernel/fork.c
patching file kernel/sys.c
patching file kernel/sched_debug.c
patching file kernel/sysctl.c
patching file init/Kconfig
patching file Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
patching file kernel/sched_fair.c

patch Galbraith-4-latency.patch done
======

Then I turned on some of the other cgroup stuff too, and make spits this
out:
======
kernel/sched.c:81:29: error: sched_autogroup.h: No such file or directory
kernel/sched.c: In function ‘task_group’:
kernel/sched.c:627: error: implicit declaration of function
‘autogroup_task_group’
kernel/sched.c:627: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a
cast
kernel/sched.c:1931:29: error: sched_autogroup.c: No such file or directory
  CC      arch/x86/mm/pat.o
kernel/sched.c: In function ‘sched_init’:
kernel/sched.c:7761: error: implicit declaration of function
‘autogroup_init’
make[1]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
========

I repeated from scratch but did a 'make headers_install" before running my
build/install script, but that didn't help.  Looks like the patch should
have a new .h file creation too?

Many thanks for your efforts on this Mike.  In my case, its kmail rebuilding
its indices that lags this machine several times a day and it looked like
this might help.  .config is attached in case I turned on something I
shouldn't have.

It can also wait till you have the sand out of your shoes. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

View attachment ".config" of type "text/x-mpsub" (85261 bytes)