Date:	Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:08:18 -0600
From:	Scott Wood <scottwood@...escale.com>
To:	<michael@...erman.id.au>
CC:	Timur Tabi <timur@...escale.com>, Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Stuart Yoder <stuart.yoder@...escale.com>,
	<devicetree-discuss@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: How do I choose an arbitrary minor number for my tty device?

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:23:47 +1100
Michael Ellerman <michael@...erman.id.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 12:13 -0600, Scott Wood wrote:
> > Unfortunately, it's not an exact match, and the fact that reg doesn't
> > translate to a physical address means that AFAICT you'll currently get
> > something like "byte-channel.nnn", where "nnn" is an arbitrary
> > kernel-assigned number.
>
> Can you not use device_rename() ?

Ah, didn't know about that.  Still, might be nice to add support for
"handle" nodes at the infrastructure level rather than in each driver.

> > It would be nice if platform devices that are created from device tree
> > nodes included a link to the corresponding /proc/device-tree node in
> > their sysfs node.
>
> It's not a link, but the OF path is in devspec, so you can work it out
> fairly easily.

Hmm, I see a "devspec" in PCI devices, but not in devtree-probed
platform devices.  of_bus_type_init isn't being called from anywhere
but the ibmebus code.  It looks like this was a casualty of merging
of_platform with platform (commit eca3930163ba8884060ce9d9ff5ef0d9b7c7b00f).

-Scott