Date:	Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:06:35 +0100
From:	Raistlin <raistlin@...ux.it>
To:	Yong Zhang <yong.zhang0@...il.com>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>, mingo@...hat.com,
	hpa@...or.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, tglx@...utronix.de,
	venki@...gle.com, mingo@...e.hu, linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [tip:sched/core] sched: Do not account irq time to current task

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 22:22 +0800, Yong Zhang wrote:
> > If you still want to throttle RT tasks simply ensure their bandwidth
> > constraint is lower than the available time.
>
> But the available time is harder to calculated than before.

Well, it shouldn't... I would say it makes it easier! :-P

> IRQ is random, so as to the irq_time.

Well, that's definitely true, as it is true that the time needed to deal
with IRQ is now somehow "lost" or "hidden" (meaning that it is not
accounted to anyone).

> But the unthrottle(do_sched_rt_period_timer()) runs in fixed
> period which is based on hard clock.
>
> Is that what we want?

I'm not sure I'm getting what the issue is here... Do you have an
example do discuss?
Because, referring to the one in your first e-mail, if in the last
period (of 1sec) we spent 900ms running -rt tasks and 50ms servicing
interrupts, given a limit was 950ms for sched_rt, why should we throttle
them? :-O

Well, I see that this could mean that all we'd do in that period will be
servicing interrupts and running -rt tasks (for _their_ last 50ms) but,
also means (at least to me) that your system needs some more design
effort.
Then I can also agree on the point that it might make sense to think a
bit on how to take the 50ms from interrupts somehow into account, but
just charging -rt tasks for that time seems quite arbitrary... :-O

Something that I've done recently is trying to figure out, if interrupts
handler have their own threads (as in PREEMPT_RT), what happens if you
try constraining the bandwidth of those thread, using proper scheduling
mechanisms (such as deadline scheduling, but rt-throttling could also be
a "reasonable approximation" :-P)... But it's just preliminary research
results.

BTW, having handlers in threads could actually be the solution per-se
here, since they would then consume -rt bandwidth (if set to -rt) and
contribute to throttling... :-)

Regards,
Dario