Date:	Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:12:18 -0200
From:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...radead.org>
To:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>
Cc:	Hitoshi Mitake <mitake@....info.waseda.ac.jp>, mingo@...hat.com,
	hpa@...or.com, paulus@...ba.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	andi@...stfloor.org, yakui.zhao@...el.com, fweisbec@...il.com,
	ling.ma@...el.com, rostedt@...dmis.org, miaox@...fujitsu.com,
	tglx@...utronix.de, mingo@...e.hu
Subject: Re: perf monitoring triggers Was: Re: [tip:perf/core] perf bench:
 Print both of prefaulted and no prefaulted results by default

Em Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 01:40:59PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra escreveu:
> On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 10:38 -0200, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> > Em Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:14:33PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra escreveu:
> > > Sounds to me like you want something like a library with self-monitoring
> > > stuff.

> > Yeah, that could be a way, an LD_PRELOAD thingy that would intercept
> > library calls, setup counters, start a monitoring thread, etc.

> > To make it easier we could move the counter setup we have in record/top
> > to a library, etc.
>
> Nah, I was more thinking of something along the lines of libPAPI and
> libpfmon. A library that contains the needed building blocks for apps to
> profile themselves.

Ok, you mean for the case where you can modify the app, I was thinking
about when you can't.

In both cases its good to move the counter creation, etc routines from
record/top to a lib, that then could be used in the way you mention, and
in the way I mention too. Two different usecases :-)

- Arnaldo