Date:	Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:22:44 -0500
From:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>
To:	"Nicholas A. Bellinger" <nab@...ux-iscsi.org>
Cc:	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
	"Patil, Kiran" <kiran.patil@...el.com>,
	Mike Christie <michaelc@...wisc.edu>,
	FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@....ntt.co.jp>,
	Hannes Reinecke <hare@...e.de>,
	Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@...asas.com>,
	Joe Eykholt <jeykholt@...co.com>, "J.H." <warthog9@...nel.org>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] TCM/LIO v4.0.0-rc6 for 2.6.37-rc6

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 19:47 -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> It is my pleasure to announce TCM/LIO v4.0.0-rc6 for v2.6.37-rc6 has
> been tagged and pushed into lio-core-2.6.git/lio-4.0 and master
> branches.  It has been almost two months since the last -rc5 for .36-rc8
> was released, and since that time a number of refactoring and cleanup
> patch series from Christoph Hellwig have been merged to reduced the
> target core logic and backend drivers by nearly ~4200 LOC!
>
> A big thanks to Christoph for jumping on a number of areas that have
> needed attention in target_core_transport.c for some time, and for being
> the very first 'third party' kernel developer to pull ahead in the
> TCM/LIO patch ranking for a single TCM/LIO release.   It was a good
> race, and hch did very much earn his victory for this round (41 vs. 36)
> in the final rankings attached below.
>
> Also, I am proud to announce this is the first release of Target Core
> code running with a publically available HW target fabric module.  The
> tcm_qla2xxx and qla2xxx LLD code is now available from the
> lio-core-2.6.git/tcm_qla2xxx branch, and more information about the
> recent Alpha -> BETA release and the ongoing developers are available
> here:
>
> http://www.linux-iscsi.org/index.php/Qlogic
>
> And the initial RFC patches here:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=129244523223528&w=2
>
> There have also been a number of important bugfixes that have gone into
> this release, so for folks running on earlier v4.0 code please consider
> upgrading now..  Here is a brief list of the critical fixes from below:
>
> *) tcm/iblock: Fix bio-set leak during bio exception handling (nab)
>
> *) tcm/pscsi: Fix incorrect usage of head_of_queue with
>     blk_execute_rq_nowait() (boaz)
>
> *) tcm/pscsi: Fix failure case for __pscsi_map_task_SG() (nab)
>
> *) tcm: Fix OOPs w/ task->task_sg_bidi[] for non BIDI operation (kiran)
>
> *) target: Fix tfo->write_pending() fabric callback ordering (nab,
> kiran, and others)
>
> There has also been work in a number of branches where work is ongoing,
> and not mentioned in the final stats below.  This includes Tomo-san's
> work with the ibmvscsis module for IBM POWER VSCSI in branch
> tcm_ibmvstgt, and Kiran Patil for his recent work in the
> tcm_fc_ddp_offload branch for adding offload support for 10 Gb/sec Intel
> NICs with TCM_FC/OpenFCOE target code that will be merged into TCM/LIO
> upstream in a future release.
>
> Kiran also found and fixed his first bug in upstream Target code, and
> helped squash another long standing (since v2.x day) issue wrt to
> interrupt context usage required for HW target mode within the
> transport_generic_write_pending() callback.  He will be continuing to
> test and improve the TCM_FC/OpenFCoE code on Intel 10 Gb/sec hardware,
> and maintaining the DDP offload pieces for FCoE within
> lio-core-2.6.git/tcm_fc_ddp_offload branch on kernel.org.  Thank you and
> great work Kiran!

> [...]

OK, I think this has reached the stage where it's been polished enough
outside mainline to the point where we can complete any remaining todo
items in-tree.

So lets begin merging with the minimal target core and the TCM_Loop as
two separate commits.  I think the target core may just fit under the
reflector mail length limits, but if not, you can send it as multiple
patches and I'll recombine them.

Thanks,

James