Date:	Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:15:53 +0100
From:	Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@...Wizard.nl>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Slow disks.

Hi,

A friend of mine has a server in a datacenter somewhere. His machine
is not working properly: most of his disks take 10-100 times longer
to process each IO request than normal.

iostat -kx 10 output:
Device: rrqm/s wrqm/s r/s  w/s  rkB/s wkB/s avgrq-sz avgqu-sz await svctm %util
sdd     0.30   0.00   0.40 1.20 2.80  1.10  4.88     0.43  271.50 271.44  43.43

shows that in this 10 second period, the disk was busy for 4.3 seconds
and serviced 15-16 requests during that time.

Normal disks show "svctm" of around 10-20ms.

Now you might say: It's his disk that's broken.
Well no: I don't believe that all four of his disks are broken.
(I just showed you output about one disk, but there are 4 disks in there
all behaving similar, but some are worse than others.)

Or you might say: It's his controller that's broken. So we thought
too. We replaced the onboard sata controller with a 4-port sata
card. Now they are running off the external sata card... Slightly
better, but not by much.

Or you might say: it's hardware. But suppose the disk doesn't properly
transfer the data 9 times out of 10, wouldn't the driver tell us
SOMETHING in the syslog that things are not fine and dandy? Moreover,
In the case above, 12kb were transferred in 4.3 seconds. If CRC errors
were happening, the interface would've been able to transfer over
400Mb during that time. So every transfer would need to be retried on
average 30000 times... Not realistic. If that were the case, we'd
surely hit a maximum retry limit every now and then?

These syptoms started when the system was running 2.6.33, but are
still present now the system has been upgraded to 2.6.36.

Is there anything you can suggest to get to the root of this problem?
Could this be a software issue with the driver? Can we enable some
driver debugging to find out what is wrong?

Any help will be appreciated.

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@...Wizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **