Date:	Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:54:59 -0800
From:	Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@...mnit.ca>
To:	yotam.medini@...il.com
Cc:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: APM_CONFIG on x86 - Is it possible?

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Yotam Medini <yotam.medini@...il.com> wrote:
> For a target ancient UMAX-ActionBook 530T, I am trying to compile
> The .config I ended up with does have:
>   CONFIG_APM=m
> But no CONFIG_APM_POWER setting,

I don't think CONFIG_APM_POWER does what you think it does.  I don't
know exactly what it does, either, but if you just want to use native
apm on your machine, you don't need it.

> When booting the kernel, I do not have /proc/apm.

Well, you compiled it as a module, so it's not surprising that it
wouldn't show up at boot time.

> I do get:
>
>  $ sudo modprobe apm
>  FATAL: Error inserting apm
>    (/lib/modules/2.6.32.yumax/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/apm.ko): No such device

The output of 'dmesg' might be revealing here.  However, it's likely
that your PC doesn't actually support APM unless it's *very* old.  You
might want to try ACPI instead.

Hope this helps.

Avery