Date:	Fri, 4 Feb 2011 21:23:28 +0100
From:	"Dr. Martin Rogge" <marogge@...inehome.de>
To:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: scheduling policy    was: Re: 2.6.37 considered stable?

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Chuckle.  I've been running 2.6.37 here, with all of that new group
> scheduling stuff enabled, the desktop feels great and my only fuss is that
> kaffiene, when watching digital tv on my pcHD-3000 card, is NOT getting
> enough time so both the audio and the video have little 20 millisecond
> holes chopped in them at sub-second intervals.  Not the most pleasant
> thing
> to watch.  I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get such an
> application a higher priority.

Gene, have you tried schedtool to set the scheduling policy of the process to
SCHED_FIFO or even SCHED_ISO?

Before anyone asks, yes, relying on schedtool puts a little reponsibility on
user space, but it is my firm believe that (a) you can't auto-everything and
(b) the onus should be on the distro not the user.

Martin