Date:	Sat, 5 Feb 2011 15:39:51 +0100
From:	Corrado Zoccolo <czoccolo@...il.com>
To:	Sri Ram Vemulpali <sri.ram.gmu06@...il.com>
Cc:	Kernel-newbies <kernelnewbies@...linux.org>,
	linux-kernel-mail <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Regarding SIGSEGV

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Sri Ram Vemulpali
<sri.ram.gmu06@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       I know that when a thread in an application do invalid memory
> reference, OS generates SIGSEGV(segmentation fault) signal and
> terminates application. What if we handle this signal by defining a
> signal handler to perform to terminate only the thread did invalid
> memory reference.
The thread that performed an invalid memory reference might already
have corrupted vital data structures, so the application may not work
and/or produce incorrect results. In such cases is always better to
stop the whole process, to limit damage.
> So, that the application will not be terminated.
> Also, is there any way, we can find when SIGSEGV is generated to get
> the invalid memory reference and thread id, who caused this fault.
man sigaction.
If you use the
 void     (*sa_sigaction)(int, siginfo_t *, void *);
version of handler interceptor, you will get the siginfo_t with all
known information about who generated the signal.

Corrado

> I know debuggers are written in such fashion. Can anyone point me to
> right direction. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sri.
> --

dott. Corrado Zoccolo                          mailto:czoccolo@...il.com
PhD - Department of Computer Science - University of Pisa, Italy