Date:	Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:46:41 +0800
From:	Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>
To:	<op.q.liu@...il.com>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	"Wu, Fengguang" <fengguang.wu@...el.com>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, <axboe@...nel.dk>,
	<jack@...e.cz>
Subject: Re: ext2 write performance regression from 2.6.32

Hi Kyle,

After some debugging, here is one possible root cause for the dd performance
drop between 2.6.30 and 2.6.32 (33/34/35 as well): in .30 the dd is a pure
sequential operation while in .32 it isn't, and the change is related to
the introduction of per-pdi flush.

I used a laptop with SDHC controller and run a simple dd of a double RAM size
 _file_ to a 1G SDHC card, the drop from .32 to .30 is about 30%, from roughly
10MB/s to 7MB/s

I'm not very familiar with .30/.32 code, and here is a simple analysis:

When dd to a big ext2 file, there are 2 types of metadata will be updated
besides the file data:
1. The ext2 global info like group descriptors and block bitmaps, whose
   buffer_header will be marked dirty in ext2_new_blocks()
2. The inode of the file under written, marked dirty in ext2_write/update_inode(),
   which is called by write_inode() and in writeback path.

In 2.6.30, with old pdflush interface, during the dd, the writeback of the 2
types of metadata will be triggered from wb_timer_fn() and dirty_balance_pages(),
but they are always delayed in pdflush_operations() as the pdflush_list is
empty. So that only the file data got be written back in a very smooth
sequential mode.

In 2.6.32, the writeback is per-bdi operation, every time the bdi for the sd
card is called for flush, it will check and try to write back all the dirty
pages, including both the metadata and data pages, so the previously sequential
sd block access is periodically chimed in by the metadata block, which cause
the performance drop. And if I ugly delayed the metadata writeback, the
performance will be restored same as .30.

As for .32, the general max writeback truck is 4MB (with 4K page), so for a
large file dd, maybe we should delay the fs/inode metadata update. Fengguang
Wu's recent writback page enlarge the writetrunk and add io-less writeback,
which may help here.

Thanks,
Feng