Date:	Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:07:25 +1000
From:	Greg Ungerer <gerg@...pgear.com>
To:	Linux/m68k <linux-m68k@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux Kernel Development <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	Steven King <sfking00@...oo.com>,
	uClinux development list <uclinux-dev@...inux.org>,
	Greg Ungerer <gerg@...inux.org>,
	Greg Ungerer <gregungerer@...tnet.com.au>
Subject: merge of m68knommu and m68k arch branches?

Hi All,

I would like to put up for discussion a merge of the m68knommu and
m68k arch branches.

Attached is a script and patch that does a kind of brute force
simplistic merge of the directories and files. (Thanks to Stephen King
<sfking@...dc.com> for the initial version of this script, and to
Sam Ravnborg for the m68k includes merge script this was based on).
Nothing outside of the arch/m68k and arch/m68knommu directories is
touched, and in the end there is no more arch/m68knommu. To apply you
simply run the script from the top of a current kernel git tree (I used
2.6.38-rc5 for testing) and then apply the patch.

This results in a tree that builds and runs on m68knommu targets that
I tested, and at least builds with seemingly no change on m68k targets
(I have not actually tested anything on a real m68k target). Configuring
kernels results in the .config files containing the same option sets
(though a few options appear in a different place/order).

Inside of the new arch/m68k is a little messy in the kernel and mm
directories. There is plenty of scope for cleanup and merge on the
files in here - but I want to leave that for follow up patches after
this initial directory merge. As a data point, when we merged the
m68k and m68knommu include files we had something like 70 or 80
duplicate but separate files, after some cleanups that is now down to
10. Ongoing cleanup will merge some of these remaining ones as well.

Thoughts?

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg@...pgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close                             FAX:         +61 7 3217 5323
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia                WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com

Download attachment "merge.sh" of type "application/x-sh" (2503 bytes)

View attachment "m68k-kconfig-merge.patch" of type "text/x-diff" (48700 bytes)