Date:	Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:02:37 -0800
From:	Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>
To:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>
Cc:	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@...el.com>,
	Ed Nadolski <edmund.nadolski@...el.com>,
	Ed Ciechanowski <ed.ciechanowski@...el.com>,
	Jacek Danecki <jacek.danecki@...el.com>,
	Jeff Skirvin <jeffrey.d.skirvin@...el.com>
Subject: isci for 2.6.39?

James,

Given the impending opening of the 2.6.39 merge window I would like to
discuss the options for merging the isci driver.  Review has been
intermittent which is understandable given the size and flux of the
codebase.  It has received a good amount of cleanups, but additional
review issues and cleanups are still all too easy to spot.  I know you
have expressed reservations about taking scsi drivers through -staging
in the past [1], so I would like to propose an alternative.  Merge the
driver into scsi-misc but with a -staging style TODO file that tracks
the review issues.  If the TODO file is not addressed by the 2.6.40
window the driver would be moved to -staging.  This has the benefit of
keeping the driver under your purview and expected location, but still
have the imminent prospect of being de-staged to ensure the community's
concerns are ultimately addressed.  We fully intend to maintain the
current momentum on the driver cleanup effort and be ready in advance of
2.6.40.

As a side note I'm still looking for a disposition for:
"libsas: flush initial device discovery before completing ->scan_finished()" [2]
"libsas: fix/amend device gone notification in sas_deform_port()" [3]

Both have since been: Acked-by: Jack Wang <jack_wang@...sh.com>

Thanks,
Dan for the isci driver team

[1]: http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=125536150519905&w=2