Date:	Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:08:32 +0100
From:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
To:	"Hans Verkuil" <hverkuil@...all.nl>
Cc:	"Ondrej Zary" <linux@...nbow-software.org>, jirislaby@...il.com,
	alsa-devel@...a-project.org,
	"Kernel development list" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-media@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] radio-maestro broken (conflicts with snd-es1968)

At Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:59:47 +0100,
Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > At Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:52:39 +0100,
> > Hans Verkuil wrote:

> >> radio on
> >> sound

> >> driver is
> >> probably

> >> delete
> >>
> >> Interesting. I don't know anyone among the video4linux developers who
> >> has
> >> this hardware, so the radio-maestro driver hasn't been tested in at
> >> least
> >> 6 or 7 years.
> >>
> >> The proper fix would be to do it like the fm801.c alsa driver does: have
> >> the radio functionality as an i2c driver. In fact, it would not surprise
> >> me at all if you could use the tea575x-tuner.c driver (in
> >> sound/i2c/other)
> >> for the es1968 and delete the radio-maestro altogether.
> >
> > I guess simply porting radio-maestro codes into snd-es1968 would work
> > without much hustles, and it's a bit safe way to go for now; smaller
> > changes have less chance for breakage, and as little people seem using
> > this driver, it'd be better to take a safer option, IMO.
>
> I assume someone has hardware since someone reported this breakage. So try
> to use tuner-tea575x for the es1968. It shouldn't be too difficult.

We can try at least, yes...

> Additional cleanup should probably wait until we find a tester for the
> fm801 as well.

My concern is that having both testers might be not easy, if we need
to change something in tea575-tuner side.
(We have already the same code, so porting it doesn't increase the code
 size :)  Anyway I agree to unify in a long term.  Let's see whether
tea-575x works as is.

thanks,

Takashi