Date:	Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:42:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Patrick Boettcher <pboettcher@...nellabs.com>
To:	Florian Mickler <florian@...kler.org>
cc:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...radead.org>, oliver@...kum.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: [media] dib0700: get rid of on-stack dma buffers

Hi Florian,

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, Florian Mickler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since I got no reaction[1] on the vp702x driver, I proceed with the
> dib0700.
>
> There are multiple drivers in drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/ which use
> usb_control_msg to perform dma to stack-allocated buffers. This is a bad idea
> because of cache-coherency issues and on some platforms the stack is mapped
> virtually and also lib/dma-debug.c warn's about it at runtime.
>
> Patches to ec168, ce6230, au6610 and lmedm04 were already tested and reviewed
> and submitted for inclusion [2]. Patches to a800, vp7045, friio, dw2102, m920x
> and opera1 are still waiting for for review and testing [3].
>
> This patch to dib0700 is a fix for a warning seen and reported by Zdenek
> Kabalec in Bug #15977 [4].
>
> Florian Mickler (2):
>      [media] dib0700: get rid of on-stack dma buffers

For this one we implemented an alternative. See here:

http://git.linuxtv.org/pb/media_tree.git?a=commit;h=16b54de2d8b46e48c5c8bdf9b350eac04e8f6b46

which I pushed, but obviously forgot to send the pull-request.

This is done now.

For the second patch I will incorperate it as soon as I find the time.

best regards,
--

Patrick