Date:	Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:04:57 +0200
From:	Francis Moreau <francis.moro@...il.com>
To:	Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>
Subject: Re: Kbuild: how to cleanly retrieve information compilation about the
 last build

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 10:05:43AM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:
>> Hello Sam,
>>
>> Maybe could suggest something, it would be great.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Francis Moreau <francis.moro@...il.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm writing a script to automatise some parts of my kernel compilation process.
>> >
>> > From those scripts I'd like to be able to call the top makefile the
>> > same way it had been called during its last invocation.
>> >
>> > For example, if Ido:
>> >
>> >     $ make CC=my-gcc CFLAGS="-g -fwhatever"
>> >
>> > I would like to retrieve the "CC=my-gcc CFLAGS="-g -fwhatever" part of
>> > the last invocation so my script can call make with the same
>> > arguments.
>> >
>> > Is this possible ?
>
> There is nothing made in kbuild to preserve the value of randomly
> added variable assignments on the command-line.
>
> If you specify O=... then a Makfile file is generated in the output
> directory that thus emulate the O= setting.
>
> CCFLAGS has btw. no effect when you build a kernel.

Ok CCFLAGS was a poor example.

BTW are the allowed flags documented somewhere ?

> If you on a regular basis need to pass flags on the command-line
> then you likely are doing something odd as this is not the typical use.
> So please reconsider what you are doing.

Ok, if I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to be corrected.

What's wrong with passing those flags for example:

  $ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux

or

   $ make CC=distcc

?

> And you can as pointed out by Américo Wang always save the
> command line in your calling script.

No, because the makefile invocation is not always done by my script.

For example a user can do:

  $ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-

Then call my script and expect it to pass the same flags to make.

Thanks
--
Francis