Date:	Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:29:22 -0400
From:	"werner" <w.landgraf@...ru>
To:	Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs

For your information:
/ All these problems dont have with 2.6.38 , .1, .2, .3 ,
.4
/ At 2.6.38-rc1 or was it 37-rc1 there had a problem with
khugepaged what I also reclaimed.  That was similar like
now these crashs which are NOT visible in syslog,
happening a few minutes until hours after booting (these
crashs should be visible in syslog 10..30 seconds before I
rebooting).   At that time, the problem was corrected with
khugepaged.   But it's possible, that the correction at
that time wasn't good enough, so that now, after some
other changes, the same problem 'returned'.  Currently,
since 2.6.39-rc1 it crashs ALWAYS if I zip or unzip files
of some 100 M  or move big files.     It's possible that
it is a problem with the memory administration.
/ I use gcc 4.3.3 and glibc 2.9
I hope this informations are useful for correct these
problems.
wl

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 03:55:45 +0100
  Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 07:47:14PM -0700, Linus Torvalds
>wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Linus Torvalds
>> <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > It looks like a NULL pointer dereference with offset
>>4, so at a guess,
>> > super->s_freeing_list.next is NULL, and it's the
>>"next->prev = entry"
>> > instruction that faults when inserting into that list.
>> >
>> > How/why would s_freeing_list be NULL? I have no idea.
>>But it looks
>> > like a failed mount, so presumably it was never
>>initialized.
>>
>> Hmm. super->s_freeing_list is initialized pretty late in
>> logfs_read_sb(), and any error path _before_ that point
>>will result in
>> a "goto err1" in logfs_get_sb_device() which will do
>>various iputs
>> etc. All without that list initialized. That would seem
>>to be the
>> cause of this, possibly triggered by Al's changes to
>>->mount from
>> read_super.
>
> Then it ought to be reproducible with much ealier
>kernels.  Say, 2.6.37 or
> so...  That part of ->mount() series went in during last
>Autumn...

"werner" <w.landgraf@...ru>
---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru