Date:	Sun, 15 May 2011 10:34:59 +0400
From:	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>
To:	huang ying <huang.ying.caritas@...il.com>
CC:	Huang Ying <ying.huang@...el.com>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Don Zickus <dzickus@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Robert Richter <robert.richter@....com>,
	Andi Kleen <ak@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] x86, NMI, Treat unknown NMI as hardware error

On 05/15/2011 04:06 AM, huang ying wrote:

>> yes, is not good. But at least we *must* provide a way to turn this new feature off
>> via command line I think. One of a reason for me is perf unknown nmis (at moment we seems
>> to have captured and cured all parasite NMIs sources but there is no guarantee we wont
>> meet them in future due to some code change or whatever). And bloating trap.c with
>> new if()'s is not that good I guess, that is why I asked if there a way to do all the
>> work via notifiers ;)
>
> Yes.  We should consider about perf unknown NMI issues.  But compared
> with pushing all magic to user, I think the better way is to have a
> better default behavior in kernel.  For example, we can turn off
> unknown NMI as hwerr logic temporarily if there are more than 1 perf
> NMI events in action.  Is that reasonable?

  I'm personally fine even if it's enabled by default, only worried to have
an option to disable hwerr from boot line.

> And, I am not a big fan of notifiers, that makes code hard to be
> understood.  If you have concerns about the size of traps.c, we can
> move all NMI logic to a new file.

  Ying, the concern is rather related to the code scheme in general. Since
we have notifiers I think the better way to be consistent here and use
hwerr notifier too. But it's IMHO ;)

--
            Cyrill