Date:	Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:05:44 +0200
From:	Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s.priebe@...fihost.ag>
To:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....EDU>
CC:	david@...g.hm, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: XFS problem in 2.6.32

Hi Ted,

> Not all distributions will participate in the maintenance stable tree.  Red Hat for example is probably worried about people  (specifically, Oracle) taking their kernel expertise "for free" and bidding it against them.  So it doesn't surprise me that they aren't submitting patches to the stable tree.  After all, they would like you to purchase a support contract if you want to get high quality, supported kernel.   Why should they give that work away for free?  After all, their salaried developers have to get paid somehow.  Others will contribute work in the hopes that other people will also contribute fixes back, but of course nothing forces Red Hat to do this.
>
> The thing that you have to understand that this is all a volunteer effort, and a few of your messages sound like you are expecting people to do the work for you.   It doesn't work that way.  If you ask nicely, maybe one of the XFS developers will help you.  But please don't expect free support.  That will just annoy people.
i'm sorry this was never my intention. I'm no native speaker so it might
be that my word selection was not perfect.

I quite understand that alle people are doing this for free or got paid
by a company who have their own interests.

I just thought it would be important to make it public that there is a
problem with XFS in the longterm stable kernel and that it would be
really nice if someone can take a look at it.

Greets Stefan