Date:	Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:06:48 +0800
From:	Tao Ma <tm@....ma>
To:	Shaohua Li <shli@...nel.org>
CC:	Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>
Subject: Re: CFQ: async queue blocks the whole system

On 06/10/2011 09:34 AM, Shaohua Li wrote:
> 2011/6/10 Shaohua Li <shaohua.li@...el.com>:

>>> CFQ in general tries not to drive too deep a queue depth in an effort
>>> to improve latencies. CFQ is generally recommened for slow SATA drives
>>> and dispatching too many requests from a single queue can only serve to
>>> increase the latency.

>>> We seem to be running this batching thing in cfq_may_dispatch() where
>>> we drain sync requests before async is dispatched and vice-a-versa.
>>> I am not sure how does this batching thing helps. I think Jens should
>>> be a better person to comment on that.
>>>
>>> I ran a fio job with few readers and few writers. I do see that few times
>>> we have schedule ASYNC workload/queue but did not dispatch a request
>>> from that. And reason being that there are sync requests in flight. And
>>> by the time sync requests finish, async queue gets preempted.
>>>
>>> So async queue does it scheduled but never gets a chance to dispatch
>>> a request because there was sync IO in flight.
>>>
>>> If there is no major advantage of draining sync requests before async
>>> is dispatched, I think this should be an easy fix.
>> I thought this is to avoid sync latency if we switch from an async
>> queue to sync queue later.

>>> Again heavily loaded to improve sync latencies. Say you have queue
>>> depth of 128 and you fill that all with async requests because right
>>> now there is no sync request around. Then a sync request comes in.
>>> We don't have a way to give it a priority and it might happen that
>>> it gets executed after 128 async requests have finished (driver and
>>> drive dependent though).
>>>
>>> So in an attempt to improve sync latencies we don't drive too
>>> high queue depths.
>>>
>>> Its latency vs throughput tradeoff.
>> The current cfq do be able to stave async queue, because we want to give small
>> latency to sync queue.
>> I agree we should do something to improve async starvation, but the
>> problem is how
>> long async queue slice should be. A sd card I tested has very high
>> latency for write. A 4k write can take > 300ms. Just dispatching a
>> singe write can dramatically impact
>> read throughput. Even in modern SSD, read is several times faster than write.
> My previous experiment is if a queue is preempted, it will not be
> preempted at the second time. This can improve something, but can't
> resolve the problem completely.
> I thought we can't completely solve this issue if we give high
> priority to sync queue,
> async queue is unavoidable to be able starved.
I am fine that async queue tends to be starved, but the problem is that
it is been starved too long. And although it is asynced, some sync
process are waiting for it, like jbd2 in my test. So CFQ should provide
us with at least some deadline. In my tests sometimes flusher is blocked
for more than 500 seconds before it can be waken up in get_request_wait.
 It is really amazing for me.

Regards,
Tao