Date:	Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:20:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Armin Schindler <armin@...ware.de>
To:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
	linux-pci@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Map PCI resource to user space problem.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:41:38AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

>>> I found the reason. It is not the size of the resource.
>>> The resource0 is assigned to a not page-aligned address.
>>> Example, the pci resource0 has address 0xfe5ffc00. mmap()ing it will
>>> actually seems to map address 0xfe5ff000 and the user needs to add 0xc00 to
>>> the address returned by mmap().
>
> Oh, ugh.  That's enforced outside the PCI layer.
> For example (from sys_x86_64.c):
>
> SYSCALL_DEFINE6(mmap, unsigned long, addr, unsigned long, len,
>                unsigned long, prot, unsigned long, flags,
>                unsigned long, fd, unsigned long, off)
> {
>        long error;
>        error = -EINVAL;
>        if (off & ~PAGE_MASK)
>                goto out;
>
> ie the very first check that the _arch specific_ code does is to check
> the offset is page-aligned.

The offset given to mmap() is not the problem. When you want to mmap
a PCI memory BAR via sysfs you normaly use offset=0 to get the BAR from
beginning. The problem is the base-address (physical address of that BAR
assigned by PCI), which is not page-aligned.

> We can't fix this.  There may be other BARs mapped into the same page,
> so allowing the user to mmap this BAR would give them access to those
> other BARs that they may not be entitled to access.

If a page is 'reused' like that and remap functions for user
are page aligned only, then yes.
Besides the access problem to other BARs, the user doesn't get a correct
address from mmap().

Armin