Date:	Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:30:25 +0200
From:	Michael Brade <brade@...ormatik.uni-muenchen.de>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: found the reason for: utsrelease.h contains "CHK include/generated/utsrelease"

Hi,

> I repeatedly get garbled output in utsrelease.h when compiling my own
> kernel.
> To reproduce:
>
> make mrproper
> make allnoconfig
> make prepare
>
> Output of "cat include/generated/utsrelease.h":
>  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease

I have spent many more hours analyzing this and finally found exactly what
causes this problem: doing "make prepare" under a running kernel with the
grsecurity/PAX option CONFIG_PAX_MEMORY_UDEREF set to Yes. I will post this in
the grsecurity forums as well, it seems to be their bug after all.

cheers,
  Michael