Date:	Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:51:04 +0100
From:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>
To:	david@...g.hm
CC:	Chris Mason <chris.mason@...cle.com>, NeilBrown <neilb@...e.de>,
	Nico Schottelius <nico-lkml-20110623@...ottelius.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org>,
	Alasdair G Kergon <agk@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Mis-Design of Btrfs?

On 07/15/2011 05:23 PM, david@...g.hm wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Chris Mason wrote:
>
>> Excerpts from Ric Wheeler's message of 2011-07-15 08:58:04 -0400:
>>> On 07/15/2011 12:34 PM, Chris Mason wrote:
>>
>> By bubble up I mean that if you have multiple layers capable of doing
>> retries, the lowest levels would retry first.  Basically by the time we
>> get an -EIO_ALREADY_RETRIED we know there's nothing that lower level can
>> do to help.
>
> the problem with doing this is that it can end up stalling the box for
> significant amounts of time while all the retries happen.
>
> we already see this happening today where a disk read failure is retried
> multiple times by the disk, multiple times by the raid controller, and then
> multiple times by Linux, resulting is multi-minute stalls when you hit a disk
> error in some cases.
>
> having the lower layers do the retries automatically runs the risk of making
> this even worse.
>
> This needs to be able to be throttled by some layer that can see the entire
> picture (either by cutting off the retries after a number, after some time, or
> by spacing out the retries to allow other queries to get in and let the box do
> useful work in the meantime)
>
> David Lang

That should not be an issue - we have a "fast fail" path for IO that should
avoid retrying just for those reasons (i.e., for multi-path or when recovering a
flaky drive).

This is not a scheme for unbounded retries. If you have a 3 disk mirror in
RAID1, you would read the data no more than 2 extra times and almost never more
than once.  That should be *much* faster than the multiple-second long timeout
you see when waiting for SCSI timeout to fire, etc.

Ric