Date:	Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:24:00 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	john stultz <johnstul@...ibm.com>
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Maciej Rutecki <maciej.rutecki@...il.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
Subject: Re: BUG spinlock lockup, rtc related, 3.0-rc7+

On 07/19/2011 03:17 PM, john stultz wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Ben Greear<greearb@...delatech.com>  wrote:
>> This is on the same nfs testing machine I've been posting about.  This
>> has some additional nfs patches included, running tests to mount, do io,
>> unmount
>> over and over again.  Seems that the NFS bugs might be finally fixed, but
>> system is still un-stable in general when under load.
>>
>> This info was printed after several other warnings that I previously posted
>> to lkml.
>>
>> This one appears to lock up the machine pretty badly though...can't ssh into
>> it anymore, and similar messages keep spewing every few minutes.
>>
>> I *think* the BUG at the end of this email is the important part, but
>> maybe it's just a symptom of something else...
>
> Huh. So does this trigger frequently, or was this just a one time
> thing? I suspect the latter.

It seems I have been hitting a lot of rcu-boost locking issues
on this system with my nfs mount/unmount testing.

The system was having various lockups and bugs, but I don't think
I saw this particular one more than once or perhaps twice.

I plan to run some more tests with the rcu-boost locking fixes
applied to the kernel shortly.

At the time I reported this, I wasn't aware of the rcu boost bugs,
but perhaps that is root cause here as well...I don't know enough
about the code in question to make an educated guess.

--
Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>