Date:	Tue, 2 Aug 2011 02:53:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Revert needed: udev spewing warnons on common systems in 3.0

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Alan Cox wrote:

> > It was a printk_once() when the tunable was scheduled to be removed two
> > years later.  Now that one year has passed since the oom killer rewrite
> > has been merged, it was changed to a WARN_ONCE() simply to attract more
> > attention to the issue.
>
> For the most part the only people whose attention you need are the
> distributions not the end users so the WARN isn't helpful.

That's obviously wrong since all of the applications that I've cited
that have been fixed to date have been the result of users actually
noticing the printk_once() and emailing me directly to pass it along to
the appropriate parties.  I've also found other cases where bugzilla
entries were created based on that single line warning by users, who in
turn get distros and maintainers to convert to the new interface.

It's quite effective, but there are still some applications that have yet
to be reported, hence the reason for anybody actually hitting this new
WARN_ONCE().